A Family That Eats Together Lives Healthy And Green Together
Eating a family meal together for some families is almost obsolete for American households. But there is much evidence to support that families that have meals together are healthier physically and emotionally. The saying “the family that eats together stays together” is more than a clique. Eating a healthy home cooked meal together where you talk and share is good for your entire family. Family’s meals are important to live a healthier and greener lifestyle.
Yes it is true that we all have busy lives and schedules, but we must make time for family meals whether its breakfast lunch, or dinner. Setting down for a healthy, nutritious meal together without the TV on or the kids playing video games can be very beneficial to everyone’s health, physically and emotionally. Make sure the atmosphere is one of relaxation and positive mood and a time when you can all relax, laugh, and communicate.
What Are The Benefits Of Shared Family Meal:
- According to the Official Journal of The America Academy of Pediatrics families that share 3 or more meals together per week tend to have a much healthier diets and less likely to engage in disordered eating.
- Families that ate together eat more fruits and vegetables versa high calorie and unhealthy processed foods.
- Family dinners or meals are important because studies show there is less chance of obesity, less diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and other health problems.
- Family meals benefits children and is a great way to model healthy eating portions, encouraging children to try new healthy foods, gives parents the opportunity to teach good manners and courtesy.
- Families that eat together tend to connect and enjoy each other company while the family bonds. The family unity and identity for each child grows and the family becomes a place of support.
- Family meals allow the opportunity to teach your children family values, your cultural traditions, about the value of taking care of our planet, living naturally, and having respect for Nature.
- Family meals opens a door for daily communication and self-expression, children can share their experiences of the day and they learn to communicate better, have respect and more patience. Parents learn what their children are feeling and family meals open a door to communication that allows parents to become more aware of who their children are playing with and what they are doing.
- Kids that eat with their family’s tend to have better social skills, heightening self-esteem, and they do better in school.
It is so important that we teach our children to have respect for others and our environment and that living a green lifestyle is vital to the survival of our planet. Make sure they understand the importance of their diets, eating organic, local harvest, and the consequences of processed foods, GMOs, and how it can affect their lives and all those around them.
In our troubled world we need to provide family time for our children so that they have the skills to live a healthy life and having family meals is a wonderful way to do that. It is our job as parents, to provide the tools for our children to understand and follow healthy habits in every aspect of their lives whether it is helping to sustain a better environment for our world or giving them the emotional stability to be able to cope in our stressed society. Our children are our future so lets give them the best chance that we can for a healthy life and a healthy world to live in!