Today my friends, I would like to discuss food additives and some of the serious health issues and side effects that they can cause. Food additives are in most food products, unless they are organic and many of us do not even realize what we are putting in our bodies
For decades the food industry has continually created new chemicals to manipulate, preserve, and transform our food. By using chemicals, scientists are able to mimic natural flavors, color foods to make them look more natural or fresh and make them more appealing to us the consumer. They also preserve foods for longer for longer shelf life, to improve the flavor, and supposedly increase nutritional value.
I would like to concentrate mainly on MSG & ASPARTAME because they are known to be 2 of the worse additives and are so commonly used!
Aspartame & MSG and other neurotoxins are chemicals, among others, added to food to stimulate hunger and disrupt normal appetite control? It’s a clever (but downright devious) strategy for selling more food and boosting the profits of food corporations.
Studies have shown that food additives may cause these health problem:
- Studies have shown that lifelong consumption may increase neurological problems
- obesity & weight gain
- risk of cancer and tumors
- cause you to get diabetes
- give you heart disease
- make you have high blood pressure
- cause hormone imbalances
Look on labels for the following information.
Foods ALWAYS contain MSG when these words are on the label:
- MSG, Mono-sodium glutamate, Glutamate, Hydrolyzed vegetable protein, Hydrolyzed plant protein, Autolyzed plant protein, Sodium caseinate, Calcium caseinate, Textured vegetable protein, Yeast extract, Yeast nutrient, Autolyzed yeast, Autolyzed yeast extract
Food ingredients that MIGHT show hidden MSG:
- Annatto, Flavoring, Seasonings, Protein fortified, Bouillon, Broth, Caramel, Malt extract, Soy protein isolate, Soy protein concentrate, Spices, Stock, Whey protein isolate
Common foods that may contain MSG or Aspartame:
- Chinese food, Sauces, Bouillon/Stock, Packaged soups, Processed meat substitute, Salad dressings, Vegan burgers, Commercial marinades, Flavored chips, Soft drinks, Fruit cocktails, Chewing gum, Diet products
I hope this information has been helpful and that you examine all labels very carefully! I suggest that you try to eat Organic or fresh products from local harvest farms, or local farmer’s market when possible. Remember it’s you and your family health that is at risk! Think about the increase of diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and ask yourself if it is really worth taking the risk?
“Go Green” & “Organic” to Live A Healthier Life!