Most people prefer their foods free of pesticides and toxic chemicals, which have been increasingly linked to serious health problems, especially in children. Their developing bodies are so much more vulnerable to chemical exposures than those of adults. In a perfect world our government would be safely monitoring our food supply and the containers it comes in, but that doesn’t happen. If you want to avoid pesticides and improve your health you need to take action! Why not plant a garden of your own?
Organic gardening is a method that uses our understanding of nature as a guide for gardening and living, and caring for plants in our yards and gardens without using synthetic chemical pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
3 Reasons Why You Should Have Your Own Garden And Alternatives To Toxic Chemical Pesticides:
1. Avoid Pesticides And the Associated Health Concerns: So much research has been associated with health problems such as – Cancer, Hormone Disruption, abnormal brain and nervous system development. Research also shows that people who have exposure to certain pesticide are more likely to develop food allergies. Having you own Organic Garden is an excellent way to avoid pesticides and the many health dangers.
You can use natural techniques and alternatives to toxic chemical pesticides.
- Organic Neem —3 products in 1, insecticide, fungicide, and miticide. Use safety on flowers, trees, ornamentals, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Kills insects and mites by suffocation and repels many pests. Organic Neem is a wonderful alternative to toxic chemicals pesticides.
- Natural Weed Control Includes — Hand pulling weeds or hoeing weeds are effective physical ways to control weeds. Using weed barriers such as organic mulch, or weed barrier fabrics which you can purchase from your local garden center or nursery.
- Natural and Safe Insect Control – Diatomaceous Earth Insect Control, beneficial insects and animals, or make your own homemade traps such as sticky traps.
How to make Homemade Traps:
Sticky traps: Use wood, cardboard or stiff plastic, and paint the base with a coat of primer and 2 coats of bright yellow or medium blue paint. Then coat with a sticky compound such as Tanglewood, Sticky Stuff, STP oil.
For Japanese beetles traps: Cut the necks off a 1-gallon plastic jugs and fill 1/3 full with fermenting mixtures of water, sugar, crushed fruit, and yeast. Strain out beetles regularly and reuse the mixture.
2. Avoid Toxic Containers and Packaging that Contaminates Food with Common Toxic Substances: With your own garden you minimize packaging which is healthy for you and the environment. According to the EWG you should eat as few processed foods as possible to avoid serious health risks.
For more information visit www..ewg.org/FoodNews
- Packaging affect the nutritional value of food and chemicals leach into your food.
- Most canned foods bought at grocery stores are coated with epoxy that contains bisphenol A – a synthetic estrogen that can disrupt the hormone system and development of the brain and other organs.
- Greaseproof paper and cardboard food wrappers may be coated with perfluorochemicals (PFC) that are a family of man-made chemicals that have been used for decades as an ingredient to help make products resist heat, oil, stains, grease and water. They are a health hazard. Studies in animals have found changes in liver and thyroid function, increased tumors in certain organs, and reproductive problems. They are harmful to the environment because they are extremely resistant to breakdown in the environment and studies indicate that some PFCs travel through soil and easily enter groundwater where they may move long distances. PFC’s have also been found in the blood of many wildlife including fish.
3. Gardening is good for you physical and spiritual Health:
- Organic gardening is great exercise and helps to reduce stress. Not only does gardening give a healthy, fresh, source of produce it helps keep you limber, is a low impact form of exercise, and will even improve your mood.
- Just by being out in the fresh air and sunshine has many health benefits. Many gardeners feel that gardening is the perfect antidote to the modern world and stressful lives that we live. Getting our hands dirty is a way of reclaiming the primal state of our heritage.
- Working in the garden can help you spiritually by connecting with nature and our creator.
- Gardening improves your mental health. Reaping the benefits of your work and knowing that you have accomplished growing your own vegetables or flowers can help your outlook on life. We all need to feel useful.
I find that gardening lifts my spirits and I feel a great sense of accomplishment when I see beautiful flowers blooming that I had planted many months ago. It makes me feel proud and glad that I am alive. I see beauty in a world filled with so much turmoil.
Whether its flower or vegetables gardening there are so many rewards that we can reap physically, spiritually, mentally, financially, including helping our environment and saving our planet. Gardening is sure to be win, win situation for you and your family. Choosing organic methods helps us become good stewards of the environment and nature. We show our concern about pollution of the air, water, and soil, and about protecting the health of our families and communities.
Please Share My Information — Subscript for updates via E-Mail!