Your immune system is the backbone to good health. It is vitally important that you protect your body from foreign invaders and to have the proper nutrition, sleep, and exercise. You need a good defense system that is healthy and balanced with the proper food and ammunition. Naturally nourishing and enhancing your immune system is the best way to ensure better health.
What am I referring to? Glad you asked! Food and supplements that strengthen and build a strong foundation that can keep you on the road to a healthy a green lifestyle.
Foods and Supplements That Will Help Strengthen Your Immune System:
- Papayas – They are packed with Vitamin C that improves many components including the natural killer cell fighter activity. Other foods that are great too — strawberries, grapefruit juice, oranges, peaches, peppers, broccoli, and brussel sprouts.
- Brazil Nuts — They are high in selenium which is crucial for antioxidant defenses and boosting the immune system. Other foods that are good sources are garlic, onions, halibut, turkey, raw dairy products such as raw cow or goat milks, some raw cheeses, yogurts and kefir, and sardines.
- Red Peppers — They contain B6 which the body needs to make hemoglobin, a component of the red blood cell that carries oxygen to the body tissue. B6 is also needed for cell growth. Other sources of B6 is bananas, raw garlic, molasses and sorghum syrup, beans, spinach, and mercury free tuna.
- Pumpkin – Pumpkin is one of the vegetables in the Cucurbitaceae family that contains some of the highest levels of Vitamin A. It is also has lots of Vitamin E and C which are all essential for a healthy immune system. Other good sources are carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, collards, and kale.
- Oysters — They are high in zinc, an antioxidant that is essential for the body’s defensive (immune) system to properly work, promotes cell growth and helps wound healing. Other sources — Grass fed beef, turkey, kidney beans, legumes, bananas, and nuts.
- Sunflower Seeds — The little gems are high in vitamin E that is essential for overall immune function. Vitamin E helps you resist the flu and upper-respiratory infections by boosting production of T-cells, a type of white blood cell that fights infection. Other good sources — almonds, turnip greens, spinach, and beet greens.
- Raw Yogurt, Kefir — The powerful probiotics that raw yogurt, kefir, and other fermented foods contain are essential for a healthy gut and immune system. Probiotics are especially effective for allergies, diarrhea, eczema, viral infections, and irritable bowel syndrome. Other great sources — raw sauerkraut, miso soup, sourdough bread, sour pickles.
- Garlic — Garlic has powerful antibiotic properties and is an immune-boosting superstar that can help destroy bacteria and infection quickly and has been used for thousands of years.
- Eldenberry – This berry is high in anthocyannins, antioxidants, that protect cells from damage and activate the immune system into fight pattern when attached. Elderberry extract can boost the immune system by increasing the body’s production of cytokines, which are proteins involved in fighting disease and infection.
- Olive Leaf Extract — It contains a compound called oleuropein that has anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties and has been used for many years as a traditional treatment for colds, flu and infection.
- Mushroom Extracts — Reishi, maitake, shiitake, and other medicinal mushrooms are high in beta-glucan, a powerful immune system booster, modulator, and antiviral agent.
- Astragalus — This is a Chinese medicine that is traditionally used to treat diabetes, but it also has immune boosting and support properties. It is a great immune bolster to use when you feel the first sign of a cold or symptoms of the flu. Astragalus has been used with much success during chemotherapy to support the immune system to recover from the trauma.
Here is a wonderful Immune-Boosting Smoothie Recipe that is great for breakfast, snack time, or when you choose!
Purple Papaya Immune Boosting Smoothie
- 1 organic papaya
- 1 banana
- 1/2 pomegranate
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup organic black grapes
- 1 teaspoon bee pollen
- 1 teaspoon Eldenberry Extract
- 4 ice cubes
Directions: Mix all ingredients into blender of small food processor until a smooth and creamy texture. ENJOY!
It is important to get plenty of rest and find ways to relax and deal with stress in your life — such as meditation, yoga, practicing Tai Chi or even listening to soft and soothing music can be very helpful!
Enhancing and supporting your immune system is not only about eating the right foods but also about not eating the wrong unhealthy foods. Avoid processed sugars and foods, refined pasta, breads, and foods that contain GMO’s and toxic artificial ingredients. Eat organic and local harvest as much as possible, make sure you are getting your rainbow of vegetables and fruits daily. Eat real foods that are pure and natural and made from scratch.
Live healthy, Live Organically, Live green, Live Natural!