5 Natural Medicinal Health Benefits Of The Herb Oregano
Today my friends I would like to discuss a Herb that I feel has some outstanding health benefits. I would like to give you some information about this amazing natural herb “Oregano”and the by-product “Oil of Oregano”. I feel that it is important for you to know that there is alternatives to many health problems besides talking medications that can have severe adverse side effects or reactions.
Oregano is an important culinary herb, used for the flavor of its leaves, which can often be more flavorful when dried than fresh. It is an aromatic warm and slightly bitter taste, which can vary in intensity. Oregano contains numerous phyto-nutrients.
Oregano’s most prominent modern use is as the staple herb of Italian-American cuisine. It can be used in meats for flavoring and the leaves are often used in Greek salads. It is closely related to the herb that we know as sweet marjoram.
It is important not to confuse Oil of Oregano with common oregano used as a spice for cooking.
Numerous university studies have shown that Oil of Oregano is a highly potent purifier that provides many benefits for human health.
Health and Medicinal Benefits of Oil of Oregano:
The ancient Greeks were one of the first people to recognize this oil for its health benefits and medicinal qualities.
It is known to be a potent:
oil that can reduce pain and inflammation and effectively fight off infections from it germ killing properties.
Oil of Oregano has been widely studied within the scientific community for it many medical uses and is well-respected in the natural and alternative medical community.
Oregano oil also has extremely high levels of free-radical-fighting antioxidants, agents that protect the body from the development of chronic conditions over time.
A study from the US Dept of Agriculture showed that oregano essential oils presented antimicrobial activities against Salmonella and E.coli.
On a per gram fresh weight basis, oregano has demonstrated 42 times more antioxidant activity than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges and 4 times more than blueberries.
Oregano is very good source of iron, manganese and dietary fiber, as well as a good source of calcium, vitamin C, vitamin A (through its concentration pro-vitamin A carotenoidsl like beta-carotene) and omega-3 fatty acids.
Oregano strengthens the immune system and increases joint and muscle flexibility.
1. Skin Problems: Destroying organisms that contribute to skin infections and digestive problems. Oil of Oregano can be applied directly on the skin to treat itches, skin infections, and irritated gums, but only if it has been diluted. Always follow the instructions on your particular bottle before applying topically to the skin.
2. Improving respiratory health. Oil of Oregano is an excellent early defense mechanism when you feel a cold sore throat coming on. Simply take 3 drops of the oil once per day for 5 days (you can mix it into a glass of orange juice) and you should notice results within a few hours.
3. Digestive Problems: The high concentrations of thymol and carvacrol in Oil of Oregano have been shown to calm upset stomachs and aid digestion. Therefore, a quick home remedy for mild indigestion is to drink a glass of milk or juice that is mixed with 2 or 3 drops of the oil.
4. Sinus Congestion & Anti-allergen: Oil of Oregano is a wonderful natural remedy for sinus congestion. Anti-allergen — Oregano oils produce a sedating effect on the hyper-sensitivity of allergies, offering relief for allergic reactions. A common solution is to add 3 drops of the oil into a glass of juice and drink this mixture daily for 3 to 5 days.
5. Menopause Aid: Oregano oil can aid in healing irregular menstruation and reducing the negative effects of menopause.
I hope this information has been helpful and informative. I want to caution you again to check with your doctor or health care provider before using Oil of Oregano or any other herb. It is possible that is could cause an interaction if you are on any medications. If you are a highly sensitive person or have many other allergies the possibly of a reaction is always there!
Remember to “Go Green”
Quote of the Day: “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”