Making sure an event you plan is eco-friendly can seem like a daunting possibility. However, the alternative can be horrific. Plastics are everywhere, and while useful, have a major effect on the environment and human health. They leave behind neurotoxins like BPA that can cause birth defects, autism and hyperactivity, while also disrupting the human endocrine system. Plastic is usually only “down-cycled”, instead of recycled. A plastic bag could become a lunch tray. It will always be around, and can take hundreds, if not thousands, of years to degrade. Running an event with eco-friendly products is a must if you want to care for the environment for future generations.
Why Use Biodegradable Products?
When running an eco-friendly event, it’s important you specify the type of things people may bring, as well as knowing what things you can use. Items that are biodegradable or recyclable are perfect for this. Resources from the National Center for Biotechnology Information explain how biodegradable materials function similarly to oil-based polymers, which are virtually non-biodegradable. The newer bio-based materials have potential benefits for greenhouse gases, and will contribute to the sustainability of the world, while also reducing the impact on the environment from disposing of oil-based polymers.
Biodegradable products are likely around you already:
- Paper towels
- Toilet paper
- Food scraps and coffee grounds
- Dish soaps
- Multipurpose cleaners
A lot of items you’d need for home or at an event are biodegradable, all you have to do is look for them. The market for these biodegradable products is growing fast and it is predicted to grow to $3.4 billion by 2020, so you will be able to easily find products suitable for your event.
Running Your Eco-Friendly Event
Now that we know biodegradables are good for the environment, you’ll need to know how to actually run your event in an eco-friendly way.
- First, you’ll need to make sure people attending your event know that it is meant to be eco-friendly. This means they should be prepared to clean up after themselves and bring only biodegradable products, or ones that can be recycled.
- This means plastic cups shouldn’t be used. Instead, try using aluminum or glass, although the latter can break, so if you’d like to be on the safe side, aluminum is the way to go as it’s safe and easily recyclable.
They’ll also need to get to your event.
- You should encourage them to carpool or use public transport. This will help to lower the carbon footprint of the people attending your event, and can also be a much more sociable way to travel.
- If you’re able, and know the amount of people attending, you could use electric or hybrid vehicles for transport. Doing this will further reduce the carbon footprint of your event, and let it be truly eco-friendly.
What biodegradable products do you use?
Do you have any tips to help us have a eco-friendly party or event? If please put your ideas in the comments section!!