10 Ways to Relax and Stay Healthy Through the Holidays!
It’s the time of the year when we all seem to have such a long to do list that it can become overwhelming. Do you remember when you were a kid how magical the Christmas season was? Wouldn’t it be great to have that feeling again? I understand that between the shopping, wrapping, decorating, social engagements, planning all the other activities it be quite stressful, exhausting and draining. Moderating our schedules is not always easy or possible, but we can learn ways to relax and stay healthy through the holidays season.
If we learn how to properly nourish stress-relief and reduce anxiety it can make a world of difference. We can actually enjoy the holidays and boost our immunity against seasonal illness such as the cold and flu.
Natural Ways to Stay Healthy and Reduce Stress:
1. Stay Away From Processed Sugar:
Sugar attacks the immune system and during the holidays many of us seem to over load on sugar. So look for healthy foods with sugar alternatives such as raw honey, stevia, pure raw molasses, raw coconut sugar, or even raw cane organic sugar is so much healthier than the processed chemical sugar that is in many desserts. Try eating organic dark chocolate or organic candy canes. You can purchase them at your local health food store.
2. Cut the alcohol:
Many holidays parties have alcoholic beverages so if you choose to drink, keep it at a responsible level and limit it to one or two drinks.
3. Too much caffeine:
Cut down on the over load of caffeine and drink plenty of pure filtered water. It helps detox and cleanse your body from toxins that can attack you immune system.
4. Make sure you get enough sleep:
Sleep deprivation is a major cause of stress and anxiety. Sleep is critical for mental and physical health. Too much stress causes lack of sleep and lack of sleep causes stress. So make so changes to a makes sure you are getting adequate good quality sleep.
This is a very important factor for stress reduction. Exercise is critical to stay healthy. If the weather is cold and you usually do your exercise outdoors why not try so indoor exercises such as yoga, tai chi is as meditation in motion check it out! They both are great to help aid in reducing stress, boosts your immunity, among many other health benefits.
6. Eat Bright Colors for your Health:
Get those bright-colored fruits and vegetables that contain important nutrients and antioxidants. Including fruits and vegetables in your diet every day will also help your body fight against any attack whether disease or stress and will help to improve your mood.
7. Try Some Meditation and Listen To Soft Music:
Many studies show that meditation can help regulate mood swings and help break the cycle of negative thought patterns. If you are one of those people who have trouble with meditation just try taking 10-20 minutes to sit quietly and focus on your breathing, making sure you are doing slow deep breaths which will help reduce stress and improves cognitive.
What better way to reduce stress than by listening to some of your favorite Christmas carols or any soft, soothing, relaxing, and calming music that can help you sleep, calm the brain and keep you sane! I listen to Christmas carols a lot and it helps give me a sense of well-being and calmness.
8. Try some Calming Supplements:
- Vitamins D is scarce during the winter from lack of sunshine and plays a role in Seasonal Affective Disorder which can cause fatigue, food cravings, and depression. Learn more about Alternatives Ways To Help SAD!
- B Vitamins – Check out how important B12 really is!
- Magnesium – Chronic stress depletes your body of magnesium. The more stressed you are, the greater the loss of magnesium and the harder it is to get a good night sleep. Taking a magnesium supplement can be extremely beneficial at any time of the year.
9. Herbal Remedies That Help Reduce Stress and Anxiety:
- Lavender — Calms anxiety and acts as a sleep aid. Sip on a cup of lavender tea and feel the soothing relief. Learn the many benefits of Lavender!
- Passionflower — This wonderful herb help to promote relaxation by influencing GABA a neurotransmitter in the brain.
- Honokiol — This ancient Chinese herb is the active compound derived from magnolia bark. Honokiol helps calm you without the dangerous side effects of prescription drugs. It also works on the GABA receptors helping to support a healthy mood, provides neural protection, cognitive support, has powerful antioxidant properties, among many other health benefits.
10. Learn To Say No:
Don’t be afraid to say NO! So many of us overwhelm ourselves with too many activities. Learn to decide what is most important to you and your family and then say, “No thank you or I’m sorry, but I just am not able to be there or participate.”
Living a healthy and green lifestyle and creating an anti-stress regimen before and during the holidays can help you enjoy the magical peace that the holidays and winter can bring to our lives. So jumpstart healthy habits before the New Year begins and you will have a stronger foundation for overall wellness for the mind and body. Let the holidays show that you are celebrating life with vitality. Show your love for your family by giving the most precious gift of all – good health and well-being through the whole year.