Turmeric Health Benefits And Healing Power
Tumeric is a natural healing remedy and culinary spice that has been used for centuries for many purposes, including its medicinal qualities. I would like enlighten you on why you should be using turmeric and it health benefits and how it could help you live a healthier and longer life. Turmeric has been used for many centuries as a dye in India, but through the centuries the many healing agents of turmeric were discovered and still today more of the amazing properties are emerging.
What is Turmeric?
- A native tropical Turmeric has been used in India for thousands of years and is a major part of Ayurvedic medicine.
- The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin.
- Research shows compounds in turmeric to have natural anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antioxidant, and anti inflammatory without the dangerous side effects of drugs. It is also a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
- Is a natural liver detoxifier, shown to aid in fat metabolism and help in weight management
- Turmeric can be used as a food additive to add yellow coloring and to protect foods from the sunlight. Foods such as cheeses, yogurt, salad dressings, margarine, mustards. When used as an additive is coded as E100.
Recent Medical Discoveries of Turmeric of Turmeric and Curcumin & Health Benefits:
- Research has shown that it reduces the risk of childhood leukemia
- Phytochemicals found in turmeric have been investigated in preliminary research for their potential effects on diseases, such as cancer, arthritis, diabetes and other clinical disorders As an example of such basic research, turmeric reduced the severity of pancreatitis-associated lung injury in mice
- In another preliminary research example, curcumin is being studied for whether it alters the response to chemotherapy in patients with advanced bowel cancers found in a laboratory study.
- Curcumin inhibits the growth of a skin cancer (melanoma) and slows the spread of breast cancer into the lungs.
- Groundbreaking new research published in the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand found that curcumin, the primary polyphenol in turmeric, is capable of repairing and even regenerating the liver tissues of diabetic rats.
- The research was performed at Srinakharinwirot University in Bangkok, Thailand. The administration of curcumin to diabetic rats, whose livers showed the characteristic pathology and destruction of liver tissues and microvasculature, resulted in significant reversal of the condition.
- Research is increasing into curcumin and turmeric. The U.S. National Institutes of Health currently has registered 71 clinical trials completed or underway to study use of dietary curcumin for a variety of clinical disorders that are dated September 2012.
- Liver microvasculature in curcumin treated group developed into regenerate and repair into healthy and normal characteristics.” They concluded: “These results demonstrated the potential use of curcumin as a novel therapeutic agent in liver pathology of diabetic rats.
- Curcumin’s superiority over conventional pharmacological agents in treating cancer is well characterized. 36 studies showing curcumin ability to inhibit and/or kill drug-resistance cancers. 27 studies showing that curcumin can kill multi-drug resistance cancers.
Tumeric has been long known for its anti-inflammatory properties but there is so much more that recent research has revealed. Turmeric is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer’s disease. In India turmeric is part of daily diet — this may help explain the low rate of Alzheimer’s disease in that country. People between the age of 70 to 79, the rate is less than one-quarter that of the US. It certainly does make you think that there is something special and healing to this spice.
Although straight turmeric powder can be bitter to your taste-bud, but when a teaspoon or two is added to a pot of soup or stew can enhance the flavor and most people find it appealing. If you prefer and just don’t like the taste both turmeric and curcumin supplements are now widely available and can take one with your daily supplements and multivitamin.
According to Dr Weils turmeric and curcumin are poorly absorbed from the G.I. tract and to receive the health benefits of tumeric absorption can be enhanced in the presence of piperine which is a constituent of black pepper. Even in Indian cuisine they commonly uses turmeric and pepper together. Dr. Weils suggest using only turmeric and curcumin supplements that contain piperine or black pepper extract.
Turmeric is the mother plant which gives rise to the compound curcumin. Another gift that nature provides to heal and help us live a healthier, greener life and stay disease free. Live and love life to the fullest — nature provides us, if we only look for these God-given gifts. They are there for our picking and Tumeric is truly one of nature’s gifts that can be used for alternative and natural healing!
Other Sources: SleuthJournal.