10 Natural Antibacterial Foods And Herbs Provided By Nature
Antibiotics are they safe or should we be looking for alternatives solutions to ward off infection? Nature provides us with natural antibacterial foods and herbs. Years ago there were no pills to pop or antibiotics to take, but there were natural antibacterial remedies from plants and foods.
In Ancient times honey was used on wounds to help heal and prevent infection or garlic was also a well-known remedy to ward off infections. Western medicine started using conventional antibiotics and discharged natural and medicinal plants, but with the growing fear of the overuse of antibiotics and drug resistance bacteria we are now returning to the old ways of using plants and looking to Nature for some answers.
Why are Plants And Herbs Better?
- Plants and herbs can target a specific infection without affecting the good bacteria.
- In many cases herbs and foods can help prevent infection and work with antibiotics to treat infection.
- Bacteria is constantly evolving so pharmaceutical antibiotics have a difficult time trying to keep up with the changing and potential new strands of bacteria because they usually only have one compound. Plants however, develop new chemical compounds, some have as many as 200 different compounds that work together and to cope with threats for survival.
10 Foods and Plants With Amazing Antibiotic Powers:
- Cranberries and cranberry juice is good for bladder and urinary tract infection. According to the Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database effectiveness based on scientific evidence rates cranberry juice as “possibly Effective” at Preventing urinary tract infections (UTIs). Research shows that drinking cranberry juice cocktail can help prevent repeated UTIs in older women and pregnant women that seem to be more prone to these infections. Cranberries and cranberry juice help prevent UTI by preventing E. Coli bacteria from adhering to bladder walls and beginning an infection. The University of Michigan Health System recommends 4 to 10 oz. of cranberry juice daily while recovering from a UTI. Read — “Cranberries Healing Powers Are For All Seasons!”
- Pomegranate is another powerful antibacterial with antioxidant properties that can help prevent bacteria from latching onto the walls of your bladder. Pomegranate is rich in vitamin C which helps boost your immune system and fight off infections–including urinary tract infections.
- Blueberry Juice also contains much the same medicinal antioxidant compounds as in cranberries. Blueberry juice inhibits the bacteria that can cling to the urinary tract and cause infection and an extremely rich source of immune-stimulating compounds known as anthocyanins.
- Raw Honey is extremely useful for fighting many forms of bacteria that infect the skin and open wounds. Honey is used to treat ulcers, burns, bedsores, and infected fungated wounds. Honey is great for promoting a healthy immune system that helps fight colds, flu, and respiratory infections. According to Science Daily — new research published in the July 2010 print edition of the FASEB Journal explains for the first time how honey kills bacteria. Specifically, the research shows that bees make a protein that they add to the honey, called defensin-1, which could one day be used to treat burns and skin infections and to develop new drugs that could combat antibiotic-resistant infections. Read — “Honey And Pollen — Wealth Of Health From the Bees!”
- Garlic a powerful natural remedy that has been used for treating coughs, colds, and respiratory infections with it extraordinary antibacterial properties that fight infections. Read — “That Amazing Healing Herb — Called Garlic!”
- Oregano is a powerful herbal antibacterial weapon that have been shown to inhibit salmonella and E. coli bacteria. Oregano oil is also useful at boosting immunity and preventing and treating common colds. READ — “5 Reason to Use That Amazing Herb–Oregano!”
- Basil has volatile oils that give it is antibacterial properties that can inhibit bacteria growth and studies have shown that basil can restrict the growth of E. coli, Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus bacteria. More importantly is has shown promise in inhibiting growth of bacteria resistant to conventional antibiotics. Read — “10 Reason Why You Should Use Fresh Basil!”
- Turmeric a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent that contains a wealth of antibiotic molecules useful in disinfecting cuts and burns. Read — “Turmeric – Is It a Medical Miracle?”
- Echinacea is a potent herb possesses the ability to destroy the most virulent bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus which causes deadly MRSA.
- Pau d’Arco is a herb that has been found to relieve a wide-range of infections include those initiated by bacteria, viruses and fungus.
According to the Mayo Clinic antibiotic drug resistance infections are becoming an increasing health concern. Bacteria diseases such as MRSA and a new forms of MRSA is causing infections in healthy people. This drug resistance diseases from bacteria are a serious concern for all of us and have caused many deaths and serious illness throughout the world. To combat this epidemic of antibiotics resistance bacteria we need to use antibiotics wisely and maybe more importantly use natural methods of healing such as foods, herbs, and plants that are non-toxic and with very few side effects. It has become a global concern and time for the world to wise up and use what God in is infinite wisdom has provided for us to heal naturally.