Today my friends, I would like to discuss a herb that has many medicinal benefits and uses. Herbs can not only add flavor to food but I also feel they were put on this earth to help us to stay healthy and help fight diseases. Basil is no exception to that rule. So let’s learn about this amazing herb called “Basil!”
Basil is a common herb in most of our kitchens, but did you know that, besides tasting good in our chicken and pasta dishes, it also is an excellent alternative health treatment for many ailments.
Grown originally in Asia and the Middle East. It has been grown and used for 5000 years and has hundreds of varieties and is now cultivated in many countries, yet the base medicinal properties remain consistent from one strain to another.
Basil plant is an aromatic annual that grows easily from seeds. Plant after the danger of frost and the soil has warmed to about 50 degrees. It grows best in well-drained soil under full sun. Pinching promotes bushiness and trim branches every couple of weeks. Use fresh leaves in your recipes or dry and store in an airtight container. It can also be easily grown indoors and then you will have in all year.
The volatile oils of dried basil are weak, so fresh basil is usually better in both our cooking and our healing treatments.
1. The main use of basil medicinally is as a natural anti-inflammatory. The same compound that makes it useful as an anti-inflammatory is also believed to help combat bowel inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis. Basil helps maintain a healthy digestive system Basil has been used successfully to treat intestinal parasites.
2. Fresh basil leaves and basil oil have antibacterial properties. They can be used to disinfect surfaces. The leaves of basil when applied to wounds, may eliminate infections.
3. Basil is very high in antioxidants, especially when it is used as an extract or oil. These antioxidants can protect your body against free radical damage associated with aging, some skin ailments such as ringworm (Basil juice should be applied directly to affected area), and most forms of cancer. Additional scientific research has shown that the volatile oils in basil, combined with their antioxidant effects, make it a great health boost for our immune systems.
4. Respiratory Disorders— Basil is an important ingredient in cough syrups and expectorant. It can also relieve mucus in asthma and bronchitis. Chewing on basil leaves can relieve colds and flu symptoms, and allergies.
5. Heart Problems: Basil can be used to help those weakened by heart disease. It can also reduce your cholesterol.
6. Kidney Stones: Basil can be used to strengthen your kidneys. In cases of stones in your kidney, the juice of basil leaves mixed with honey and taken daily for 6 months will expel them through the urinary tract.
7. Tooth & Mouth Problems: Dry basil leaves in the sun and grind into powder for a tooth cleansing powder. You can also mix with mustard oil to make herbal toothpaste. Both of these methods will counter bad breath and can be used to massage the gums, treat pyorrhea, and other dental health problems. Chewing a few Basil leaves twice daily can cure infections and ulcerations of the mouth.
8. Insect Bites: Rubbing basil juice on insect bites can relieve the itching and swelling, or using the paste of the root is effective for treating the bites of insects and leeches.
9. Headaches: Basil is a good headache remedy. Boil leaves in half a quart of water, cooking until half the liquid remains. Take a couple of teaspoons an hour with water to relieve your pain and swelling.
10. Stress: Basil oil or leaves can be used as an anti-stress agent. Chewing 12 basil leaves twice a day can help to prevent stress.
Basil is a wonderful herb with many health and healing benefits. I always believe it is better to use the natural God-given resources that nature has proven for us to heal and to stay healthy. I cautious you to always contact your doctor or health-care provider before using any substance even if herbal or natural. Although herbs are normally very safe it is possible to have an allergic reaction especially if you are taking any medications or supplements. I believe it is always best to let your body heal as naturally as possible.
Remember to “Go Green” & “Organic” to Live A Healthier Lifestyle!
Quote For the Day: I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.