Mother’s Day is such a special day. We want to show our love and appreciations to the woman who loved us unconditionally, sacrificed, took care of us when we were sick, and every mother deserves the best, including Mother Earth. We can give a true give of love if we give organic and green gifts that will be healthy for our bodies and our environment to make sure that we can spend many more Mother Day’s with our families.
Celebrating Mother’s Day should be a celebration to honor our own Mother, but also be conscious of the needs of Mother Earth and to keep our planet healthy.
How Did Mother’s Day Start?
One of the earliest historical records of a society celebrating a Mother deity can be found among the ancient Egyptians, who held an annual festival to honor the goddess Isis, who was commonly regarded as the Mother of the pharaohs. Her stern, yet handsome head is typically crowned by a pair of bull horns enclosing a fiery sun orb. She is most often depicted sitting on a throne. If you would like to read more about this click here.
Many changes and traditions in different parts of the world for Mother’s Day throughout the centuries changed.
Mothers Day In America:
As history continues when the first English settlers came to America, they discontinued the tradition of Mothering Day, but the British holiday continued. Some believe that the settlers’ discontinuation of Mothering Day was that they just didn’t have time. Remember they lived under harsh conditions and survival was very difficult. Others think that Mothering Day conflicted with their Puritan ideals.
The first North American Mother’s Day was conceptualized with Julia Ward Howe’s Mother’s Day Proclamation in 1870. This woman had also wrote the “The Battle Hymn of the Republic” 12 years earlier.
Howe had become so distraught by the death and carnage of the Civil War that she called on Mother’s to come together and protest what she saw as the futility of their Sons killing the Sons of other Mothers. With the following, she called for an international Mother’s Day celebrating peace and motherhood and although many changes occurred after that Howe had planted the seed that would blossom into what we know as Mother’s Day today.
In 1908 a U.S. Senator from Nebraska, Elmer Burkett, proposed making Mother’s Day a national holiday at the request of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA). The proposal was defeated, but by 1909 forty-six states were holding Mother’s Day services as well as parts of Canada and Mexico. In 1914 Woodrow Wilson signed it into national observance, declaring the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day.
Today over 70 countries celebrate and honor Mother’s Day!
Mother’s Day gifts that are safe, healthy, organic, or recycled materials:
1. A Gift Certificate: To her favorite health food store or even a farmers market where she can choose her own healthy gift of fresh organic fruit, vegetables, favorite essential oils, herbs, healthy snacks, or vitamins and supplements to keep her healthy. A gift certificate to a green spa or a relaxing massage that has so many health benefits and that I am sure she will appreciate with all her heart.
2. Organic Flowers or Planters: Flower’s are always a wonderful gift that most woman cherish and if you buy her flowers that she can keep or plant out she can cherish them for years to come. Mom will be delighted with these lovely flowers from the Organic Bouquet. They have large selection of bouquets and planters with specific charitable organizations, from The Nature Conservancy and The Rainforest Foundation to Coop America and Oceana.
3. A Eco Friendly Gift Box
4. Soy Candles: What women doesn’t love the romantic and relaxing glow of candlelight. Try soy candles that hand poured all natural domestically grown pure soy candle, long-lasting full-bodied bouquet from premium essential oils, and the cleanest burning and most planet friendly candle on the market. No dangerous chemicals to harm to pollute the earth or Mom’s body.
5. Environmentally Friendly Bamboo or Organic Cotton Bathrobe or luxury towels: For that special lady or Mom that you are honoring this Mother’s Day, bamboo robes or bath towels are a wonderful way that you can show your appreciation and she will remember you every time she rapes herself in the soft luxury robe or towel. A Bamboo or Organic Bath Robe that is made with 100% Viscose from bamboo or organic cotton. Low impact dyes are used in the coloring, meaning the lowest possible environmental impact. The bath robes have also passed Oeko-Tex certification to make sure they do not contain harmful substances, and are produced in the most environmentally friendly method possible.
6. Donation to her Favorite Charity: Honor that special lady with a gift that honors something that she believes in passionately and it could be the best gift she ever received. Find out her favorite charity, one that serves the environment or one that serves others and make a donation in her name. You will not only honor Mom but our whole planet.
7. Organic Chocolate & Candies: A gift for to satisfy that chocolate craving and that is healthy. For the Mom who has a sweet tooth but her health is a priority. Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants and for extra health benefits try a chocolate bar with organically certified hemp seeds and almonds.
8. Cook Mom Her Favorite Healthy Meal: Just being there for Mom can be the best gift of all and spending the day with Mom making sure she feels special. Cook her favorite healthy recipes and make a healthy but delicious dessert. Make sure you give her a big hug and kiss to show your appreciation for that special lady in your life!
9. If Jewelry Is Mom Passion: Jewelry is what Mom likes best make sure it is recycled eco-friendly, green jewelry. Pick out the perfect piece that suits your Mom’s taste and when she wears it she will love telling her friends that it was a special gift from someone who loved her so much to buy it for her.
10. Truly Natural and Organic Skincare Products: Any woman wants to keep her skin healthy, young-looking, wrinkle free at any age. One good choice is argan oil that has so many wonderful health and beauty benefits. Organic Argan oil from France would be a gift that would make Mom look and feel beautiful inside and out and would continue to reap it’s benefits throughout the year. Or maybe some organic cosmetics — find out what she needs and likes to use. Just make sure it is organic or truly natural without toxic chemical additives.
11. A Glass Water Bottle: An eco-friendly recycled glass water bottle that is free from BPA toxins, phthales, PVC, and polycarbonates. This is a great environmentally friendly way for Mom to carry her water with her and she wouldn’t have to buy those toxic plastic bottles of water that have been linked to many health risks. And you know how Mom’s are they never buy these things for themselves, so buy it for her and let her know that you care about her health.
If you send Mom a card please make sure it is made from recycled paper, or send a card through e-mail. Let’s also honor Mother Earth by saving paper and trees and making sure we live green! Make this a Mother’s Day to remember – make it special and remember you don’t have to spend a lot of money to show your love. Just honor your Mother or that special lady in a way that will show your love and appreciation and warm her heart and put a smile on her face.