Medicinal Herbs You Must Have in Your Garden
These Days our dependency on the drugs have increased drastically, for every little problem that we ever have we prefer taking the allopathic treatment to get relief. It is true that these drugs are addictive and our body is totally gets dependent on these drugs to make it work better.
Wouldn’t it be so good if we switch back to the old, natural and effective ways to treat all our problems? Wouldn’t it be even better if the solution to the entire problem was in our home garden! How? You can grow a few plants that have medicinal properties. Want to know which plants to grow and how will they benefit you?
A skin friendly plant, blessed with a lot of properties. It is safe, and can be used on the body without making any chemical additions to it. The best part is that it does not require any garden to grow but even a garden pot is sufficient to grow it. So, pots or gardens, any place is sufficient to grow it.
Where can it grow?
It grows in areas where there isn’t the fear of any killer frosts. The best part is that it doesn’t require everyday care and attention in order to grow nicely. This can even survive in the poorest of the soil and with very less water.
Uses of Aloe Vera
- Apply to minor burns, cuts, inflamed, damaged skin. It helps also with the problem of eczema and helps in providing relief from that.
- It is an excellent moisturizer with mild anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- The pulp of the leaf can be consumed too.
- Helps in giving relief from digestion problems, irritated bowel, and ulcerative colitis.
- Great for applying onto the delicate skin of the face.
Peppermint (Piperita * Mentha)
This is a hybrid of the watermint and the spearmint and you must have one time or the other used it for your dental hygiene, used it in the form of a mouth freshener. Peppermint is being used since last thousands of years. Please check out How good is that sweet mint flavor!
Where can it grow?
- It needs proper water for its growth
- It needs plenty of room to spread
Uses of Peppermint
- It helps to calm the upset stomach
- Helps in providing relief from discomfort due to gas
- Calms the stomach
- Sniffing it when feeling nausea will help provide relief from it
- Peppermint when mixed with other herbs and curd can be used as a sandwich spread
- This can be used as a mouth freshener too
- Can be used onto the skin for providing relief from irritated and itchy skin. Make a fine paste out of the leaves and apply it onto the affected area.
- Because it of its mild analgesic properties it helps in relieving headaches and muscle cramps.
Uses of Chamomile
- Make tea with the fresh flowers heads
- Pain in the body an upset stomach
- If you are feeling anxious before going to sleep then consume a cup of chamomile tea
- You can gargle with chamomile tea several times in a day
How to prepare chamomile tea at home?
Take flower heads, almost a handful of them and then steep it for 15-20 minutes. Let it stir. When you have boiled it for sometime then drain
Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia)
This sweet and aromatic flower – Lavender is known for its therapeutic properties and it provides great relief and soothing effect.
Uses of Lavender
- Helps provide relief from depression and headache
- Used for aromatherapy
- Used to prepare fragrances
- Its dried flowers are used to get a relaxed sleep
- Can be infused in the water to wash away the impurities from the face and heal the damaged skin
Pot Marigold (Calendula Officinalis)
Where can it grow?
An annual and perennial plant that grows from its seeds, it comes in shades of yellow and orange. The fertility of the soil and the pH is not an important element when it comes to growing this plant.
It is an edible flower and which is widely used to solve the skin problem or allergy.
Uses of Pot Marigold
- It is used to get relief from the sun burnt skin and rashes that show up due to it
- It clears up the acne and the blemishes from the skin
- Helps reduce the inflammation and stop the body’s bleeding
- Used to heal cuts, burns and nicks
- Helps ease the digestive problems
Author Bio: Rohit Bimbrahw is currently working as the Project Manager at Home HealthCare Shoppe; the medical supply extension of Port Coquitlam’s Wilson Pharmacy. Home Healthcare Shoppe aims to bring everyone a wide range of high quality healthcare products like carpal tunnel brace, strassburg sock, bunion corrector, aircast boot etc because with great health and well-being, anyone can live a fun and purposeful life.
This post is part of and a collaboration of bloggers that are helping to spread the the word of self-sufficiently, self reliance, natural living, healthy living and a green way of life. Please check out the all the other great post that can help guide you to many helpful tips at Self Reliance Challenge for a Simpler Life!