Electromagnetic fields (EMF) has become a growing concern in our society and the health risks. We are surrounded by EMF rays from electrical lines, appliances, microwaves, computers, cell phones, and so much other electrical equipment that consume our daily lives. What are the health risks of electrical pollution? Should we be concerned?
Any item which requires electricity to work will emit a certain level of electromagnetic fields. People who are exposed to fluorescent lights (which emit electronic fields) at home or at the office can experience reduced alertness which can induce fatigue and feeling more tired than usual. Why this occurs is because the electromagnetic field which are emitted from these lights cause red blood cells to clump together.
Some other electrical items which emit low levels of electromagnetic fields are hairdryer, washing machines, refrigerators, electric shavers, and vacuums cleaners.
X-rays and other diagnostic scans expose people to unnecessarily high levels of electromagnetic fields and radiation.
A study undertaken by Dr. Nancy Wertheimer showed that children who live close to overhead power lines are 3 times more likely to develop cancer and leukemia. A safe distance to live from overhead power lines and neighborhood transformers is estimated to be a minimum of about 1000 feet away.
Although there is much dispute and controversy to the dangers of electromagnetic fields including the FDA who claim that there is not substantial evidence, there is much evidence that health risks are a true concern. This is to be expected since our government, cell phones, computer companies do not want to admit to any dangers.
Cell phones are one of the major concerns among scientist and researchers. Cell phones have become an essential item to most of our lives. and I would have to agree that they are very useful and helpful. It is very easy to communicate anywhere with anyone and a cell phone can be a life saver in an emergency. Despite their convenience and usefulness they are a popular form of electrical pollution and could have some serious health risks.
Let’s take a look at the black side of cell phones which is the health dangers from the (radio-frequency) RF energy a form of electromagnetic radiation (EMR) Cell phones produce low levels of EMR, which are considered non-ionizing. (Ionizing means that an increase of chemical activity inside your body’s cell).
Most of the RF energy comes from the antenna on the cell phone which sends and receives your voice and text messages. It is not like an X-ray, but more like a very low-powered microwave oven. This means that the closer the antenna is to your head, the greater the exposure is to the person, according to the National Cancer Institute.
The amount of RF energy depends on different factors such as the strength of the phone signal — the farther you are from a cell-phone tower the more energy you need to connect the call, which results in more exposure. You don’t even have to be on a call to be exposed to RF energy because even if your cell phone is on standby the antenna still sends and receives signals from the cell towers.
The most common concern is “heating of tissue” which is why your ear sometimes gets warm if you hold the phone for a long time. The radiation causes tissue molecules to vibrate faster and throughout time can cause disease or other health issues.
According to the WHO (World Health Organization) cell phones have been linked to serious health problems like infertility and a new study shows they many cause brain tumors. In 2011 a team of 31 scientists from 14 countries, including the US, made the decision after reviewing peer-reviewed studies on cell phone use and safety and WHO cancer experts said that scientific evidence links cell phone use as “possible human carcinogenic.”
According to Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurology at Cedar-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, “The biggest problem we have is that we know most environmental factors take several decades of exposure before we really see the consequences.”
Electromagnetic & Electrical Pollution exposure and Health Risks and Concerns:
- fatigue and severe cases of exhaustion
- severe headaches
- brain cancer and tumors
- nervous system damage
- fluctuations in blood pressure
- asthma and allergies
- memory and concentration problems
- weakened immune systems
- strokes and heart attacks
- birth defects and even miscarriages
Children are especially sensitive and susceptible to exposure and side-effects that are caused by electromagnetic fields.
In the world we live today we are surrounded by electromagnetic fields and it is not possible to be completely free from electromagnetic fields, but we can do some precautionary steps to protect ourselves and our families!
1. Unplugging and turning off all electrical appliances when they are not in use and use as briefly as possible.
2. Avoiding prolonged exposure to computer’s and TV’s.
3. Keeping your cell phone completely away from the bedroom when you are sleeping and as many electrical appliances as possible 6 feet away from your bed where you sleep. If you have a clock radio which emits relatively high levels of EMF keep it at least 3 feet from your bed.
4. Never stand in front of a microwave while you are using because they use high frequencies to cook food.
5. Having plants indoors can help to absorb some of the radiation and electromagnetic fields.
6. Buy a low-radiation phone:Look up your phone on EWG’s buyer’s guide. Consider replacing your phone with one that meets your needs but also remits the lowest radiation possible.
7. Use a headset or speaker: Headsets emit much less radiation than phones, but since there is still some radiation there make sure you take it off your ear when you’re not on a call. Expert’s are not in agreement with what is safe the wireless or wired. Using the speaker feature definitely helps reduce exposure to your head.
8. Let your fingers do the talking: Listen more and talk less by texting when possible (but please not when driving)!
9. Hold phone away from your body: Keep the phone away from your torso if you are using headset or speaker: not against your ear, in a pocket, or on your belt where there is soft body tissues that absorb radiation. and use protective shielding.
10. Poor signal! Stay off the phone: If you see fewer signal bars on your phone this means that it will emit more radiation to get the signal to the tower so try to make calls when your signal is strong.
11. Carry your phone with the antenna facing away from your body: Keep the front (or the keyboard side) facing you and the back (or antenna side) facing outward, which directs radiation away from your body.
12. Keep you phone fully charged: Your phone has to amp up more if the battery is weak or reception is poor which increases the radiation emission.
13. Head for land:Use the old-fashioned land lines phone (with a wire) when possible.
14. Limit children phone use: Young children brains absorb twice as much radiation from cell phones as those of adults.
15. To avoid EMF rays and electrical pollution: your bed should not be placed on walls next to the fuse box in your house or near wires bringing electricity to your house.
16. If you use an electric blanket turn it on to heat the bed and then turn it off before retiring.
17. It is best to live 1/2 to 1 mile away from cellular, radio, and television towers.
Electrical energy is a part of our lives and we can enjoy the benefits and conveniences it provides for us, but we must respect its power and make healthy decisions regarding home location and the use of electric equipment.