Today my friends I would like to discuss Sage, a valuable herbal remedy and the its many health and medicinal benefits. You will learn some important facts about sage and how it could be beneficial to you or your family.
Just some useful information:
- Sage is grown all over this planet in over 750 different varieties and is a member of the mint family.
- Sage is another culinary herb that has great value and many medicinal and health benefits. In fact, the word sage derives from the Latin “salvare”, which means to heal or to save!
- Sage was very popular among the ancient Greek and Romans and was revered as a wonder herb that cured all diseases and was even thought to have magical and sacred qualities.
- Sage has a strong, woody flavor and is particularly popular served with poultry, pork and other meat dishes. Sage is not only ideal for flavoring meat or poultry dishes, it also goes well with cheese, apples and tomatoes. You can use any recipe that you desire to add a unique flavoring to.
- Sage can be bought cut fresh or dried from your local supermarket can grow sage in your garden, but grows best in a dry and sunny climate.
- Dried sage can keep for about six months but must be stored in an airtight container or glass jar.
- Cut fresh sage leaves will last 3-4 days if stored in the refrigerator in a plastic bag or you may wrap them in a damp paper towel to maintain their freshness for as long as possible.
Medicinal and Health Benefits of Sage:
Sage Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties:
- anti fungal
- anti microbial
- anti septic
- anti inflammatory
- anti spasmodic
- anti bacterial
- laxative and stimulant
1. Sage is a very good source of Vitamin A, calcium, iron and potassium. Vitamin A and calcium are both especially important for maintaining healthy teeth, bones and skin.
2. Recent research has proven that sage can improve and enhance memory, alertness, and induces mental stability. Sage is said to ease anxiety and relieve stress and depression.
3. Sage contains rosmarinic acid, which acts as an anti-inflammatory within the body. Sage is a powerful antioxidant, protecting cells from being damaged by oxidation and forming cancerous cells.
4. Prepare a little sage tea and use it to gargle with to relieve a sore throat, any mouth infections and can help to reduce bad breath. It can help to ease colds, coughs and excess mucous.
5. Sage may help people with diabetes. According to Pub Med website a study researchers C. F. Lima, M. F. Azevedo, et, al., was done at the University of Minho, Braga, Portugal, August, 2006. Entitled, “Metformin-Like effect of Salvia officinalis (common sage): is it useful in diabetes prevention?” The purpose of the study was to verify the anti-diabetic effects of an infusion of sage tea in mice. The results showed sage tea infusion effects on the fasting glucose levels in normal animals and its metformin (a drug used to treat Type 2 diabetes) like effects on rat hepatocytes (liver cells) suggest sage may be useful as a food supplement in preventing Type 2 diabetes by lowering the blood glucose of individuals at risk.
6. Women suffering from excessive sweating due to the menopause, or any other female gynecological problem should try drinking sage tea several times a day.
7. Sage speeds up removal of toxins from the blood through excretion or through sweating and thus purifies blood, acting as a depurative.
8. Sage is said to help with allergies, asthma and bronchitis.
9. If used as a hair rinse, it has been said that sage will reduce hair loss and darken the color.
10. Sage acts as a digestive aid, in cases of indigestion it helps to break down food by promoting secretion of bile, gastric juices and helps stop the growth of microbial in the digestive system.
11. The anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti microbial and anti septic properties of Essential Oil of Sage make it an effective disinfectant, as it gives sound protection from internal and external infections.
12. Sage is used as a skin care product because of the presence of Camphor and Camphene in this oil gives it an anti fungal property. This oil is capable of inhibiting fungal infections internally and externally and gives relief from fungal infections like dysentery, skin diseases, athlete’s foot, and dermatitis.
I cautious you to always check with your Doctor or Health care provider before using any product. Please beware even with the many health qualities sage offers that the essential oil of sage can cause epileptic strokes if someone suffers from epilepsy.
The most famous uses of the sage are its ability to stop sweating and to cure strep throat. Many singers and speakers can use sage to keep their voice working. The God given medicinal qualities that sage provides have some people saying that it can cure everything. Sage is truly a herb that can help you stay healthy and help when health problems erupt in your life. As always my believe is it is always better to use a natural remedies before chemical drugs that can cause dangerous side effects.
Please share my information!
“Go Green” & “Natural” to Live a Healthy Lifestyle!
Quote for the day: “Live simply that others might simply live.”