Organic living is so popular as of late. There are so many health issues caused by processed foods that people are flocking to give the organic way of life a try. There are so many amazing health benefits of it as well, such as an improved level of awareness, healthier organs and blood, and can improve fitness. There are so many reasons why you should switch, and there are so many recipes to help you with the switch. Let’s explore some of them.
Organic basically means food that has been grown without the addition of chemicals. Even the fresh food that can be bought at your local supermarket has been grown with a little helping hand. Whether it be to make it grow quicker or bigger. The farming world is all about making money at the minute, hence why organic food is so much more expensive. It takes longer to grow, doesn’t grow as large, but it is free from anything harmful.
It’s easier to make money from the chemically enhanced produce, than it is from growing it clean. Going organic is also known as the organic movement. It started in the 20th century, around the time when large strides in the agricultural world were being made. However there is evidence it began in the 18th century. Back in the days of the war, scientists developed a synthesized chemical that reproduced the ammonia released by cow manure. The chemical produced was similar to the one’s they used for the ammunition during the war, if that doesn’t put you slightly off processed food, there’s more to come. It was in the middle of the 1900’s that people decided they didn’t want to eat food sprayed with such chemicals, and that is how the name of the organic movement began.
To understand why you should go organic, you need to understand what’s so harmful about processed foods. In a nutshell, it’s poisonous. During the days of the cavemen, such diseases that we have today that start within cell mutations, such as cancer, didn’t exist.
Cancer is a manmade illness, and there is so much research out there that suggests what we put into our body is the cause. Not just cigarettes and alcohol, but the processed foods, fast foods, and just fizzy drinks as contributing to the increased rate of cancer cases.
Genetically modified organisms are things such as plants, animals, or microorganisms that have had their characteristics changed by something other than natural occurrences. So a great example is the ammonia that scientists began fertilizing plants with.
With such advancements in science, it’s not only plants that are having this effect, it’s the meat we eat. The whole reason we’re entering a post antibiotic era, is due to the fact that farmers are filling their soil full of human antibiotics, or filling their feed with it. This is great for the farmers, for one the animals will grow quicker. Or if animals such as chickens, who are kept in their cages and confined spaces by the hundreds. These antibiotics keeps them free from infection. It’s so easy for infections to spread around a chicken farming house, most farmers just can’t afford to run the risk. So, the animals eat, or take these antibiotics, they’re killed for their meat, we eat the meat, and in turn eat tiny doses of these antibiotics with each bite.
This practice has been used for nearly half a century, meaning as we evolve as humans, our bodies are evolving against the antibiotics. Soon, we’ll be fully into the post antibiotic era, potentially plunging us back into the dark ages of medicine. Still not put off? Then keep reading!!
When it’s churned into processed food, they’re near enough always high in unhealthy fats, sugar, and salt. It is believed to be one of the main causes of diabetes across the US and UK, and it is definitely the main, and nearly only, cause of obesity. This in turn leads to dangerous health conditions such as heart disease, heart attacks and cancer.
Pro’s of Organic:
- Organic food is just so much better for you.
- With the lack of fertilizers the plants have been sprayed with, it means the plant has grown naturally and safely. This is beneficial to all of us. Some scientists say the level of pesticides consumed at a low enough level are not harmful. But, still, in countries that aren’t following westernized food trends, they don’t have as many illnesses. As soon as they start eating conventional processed foods, they become ill with many different diseases and health problems that had not existed before, purely due to their diet changes.
- Eating free range meats and egg etc. is also so much better for you. You’ll be less resistant to antibiotics, meaning if we eventually do fully enter the post antibiotic era, you’ll be better off.
- There are also so many natural foods that have such great health benefits for you. Black maca for example, is grown and powderized, and can improve memory and fertility. It’s also a lot safer for animals.
- Free range animals have a healthier and better life. They’re free from being kept in cages that hold hundreds and cramped together. They aren’t being force fed any unnatural products or hormones that will make them bigger, but could also make them ill. It’ll also be better for future generations.
- If a large amount of the population started eating organic, it will reduce the possibility that our grandchildren won’t have antibiotics to cure them when they need them.
- There are also no artificial colors or preservatives. There’s been so much research in recent years that links artificial colors to hyperactivity in children. Meaning large food companies have had to reduce their numbers rapidly to keep their food appealing to parents.
- With organic food, you have no worries of this, or the major health issues that come with processed foods.
Con’s of Organic:
- Organic food is much more expensive. Due to their being so much more money for farmers who are mass producing food ready to be processed, the organic farming world is a lot smaller. More and more people are choosing to go organic. But with fewer farmers producing, and the food growing at a slower rate, it means the costs have to be bumped up to keep the industry going. Some organic products come in at nearly double the price of their processed copies.
- In organic foods the antibiotic risk is obviously wiped off, but there’s still risks for e-coli, salmonella, and other harmful bacteria’s.
- Organic food is also made more expensive due to its much shorter shelf life. It’s cut nearly in half compared to processed food. This is due to the lack of preservatives that stop processed foods from spoiling that allows them to have a longer shelf life. Despite people believing that organic food is ultimately better for you there is not much research to date that has been recorded. It is all based on people’s opinions, and a little bit of research.
- It’s also a lot harder to source organic food. Shops are full to the brim with different types of processed foods, but the organic section will nearly always be less than half an aisle long. There are a few dedicated shops across the country, but due to organic and natural foods being a niche, they again bump the prices up a lot. It’s also harder to find a variety to eat. After a while, you’ll realize that there isn’t the variety in organic foods as conventional but with a little research you can find lots of delicious homemade recipes that you’ll family will love and they wouldn’t miss their processed foods. The recipes below will come in handy and get you started on how easy it is to make your own food.
Peanut butter pancakes
This is a great recipe for all the family to enjoy. It’s quick and easy to make, and has great health benefits.
- 2-3 Tablespoon organic Peanut Butter
- 2-4 organic free-range eggs
- 4 Tablespoons of organic Vanilla extract
- 4 Tablespoons of organic Greek yogurt
- Organic jam or syrup (optional)
First mix all of the eggs, four tablespoons of yogurt, vanilla extract in a bowl. Then simply pour into a preheated, non stick pan. Wait for one side to brown off, then flip to cook the other side. They will the be ready to serve with either jam, or syrup.
This is a nutritional dinner, that all the family can get involved with making.
- 750 grams or 1.75 pounds of organic grass-fed ground beef
- Organic Cucumber
- Organic Tomato
- Organic Lettuce
- Organic Brown onion and red onion
- 2 Organic Avocados
- Organic Garlic powder
- Organic Cumin powder
- Organic cold-pressed coconut oil
- Organic Tortillas (as many as you need)
- Fry the ground beef until thoroughly cooked and browned, drain the excess water and return to the hob.
- Dice the brown onion, and add to the meat along with two tablespoons of cumin and garlic powder.
- Leave to cook for around ten minutes on a medium heat.
- While that’s cooking, mash up the two avocados, and finely dice the red onion and three small tomatoes.
- Add these into the avocados and mix together.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper and coconut oil for seasoning and you have a perfect homemade guacamole.
- Dice up the lettuce and remaining red onion and tomatoes. Fill your tacos with the mince meat and salad, and you have yourself a quick and easy taco recipe. Enjoy!
SHARED ON HEALTHY HAPPY GREEN & NATURAL BLOG HOP!