5 Simple Ways to Include Yoga in Your Daily Routine
In today’s hectic life it can be quite difficult to make time for yoga. You may feel that you need to carve out an entire hour or more to properly benefit from your practice. This is not necessary. They great things about yoga is that you can do it anyway with no equipment. You can start with 5 minutes everyday whenever it fits in your schedule.
Here are 5 simple ways you can include yoga in your day and be on your way to enjoying the benefits of a regular yoga practice.
- Before your morning devotion. If you are in the habit of having a morning ritual it is easy to incorporate 5 minutes of yoga in that ritual. Whether you journal, read religious texts or daily devotionals you can add yoga. The easiest way to do this is to add a 5 minute meditation to your ritual. You may choose to focus on a word or phrase from your devotion. This will help set the tone for your day. You may want to start your morning with more activity and do a few stretches or breathing exercises before your ritual. This is a great way to release the tension and stiffness that builds up overnight. Whether you choose to stretch, breathe or meditate you can build a consistent practice with a short activity each morning.
- At your desk. If you sit at a desk all day they you are no stranger to tight shoulders and backs. One of the great things about yoga is that you can practice where you are. You don’t have to leave your desk. You can take a short break and so some stretches or breathing exercises at your desk. This will release tension, calm your mind and make you more productive. Make this a regular practice and your body will thank you.
- As part of your workout. Practicing yoga immediately after your workout can decrease soreness and stiffness. It makes it easy to remember to practice since you’re already dressed for the occasion. Add a few stretches, relaxation or meditation to the end of your workout and check two things off your todo list.
- A walking meditation. Walking meditations are an often forgotten yoga practice. It helps burn of nervous energy and relax the body. It is even more beneficial when practiced in nature. Focus on your breath and the movement of your feet. Keep the eyes low and soft. Let your body relax as you sink into the stillness.
- Before bed. Practicing yoga before bed helps you let go of the day’s stresses and fall asleep faster. It also helps you get a better night’s rest. You don’t need to roll out the mat you can do it in bed while wearing your pajamas. Five minutes of stretches in bed can be all the yoga you need to help you sleep better and build a consistent practice.
However you choose to incorporate yoga in your daily routine remember to keep coming back to it. You only need 5 minutes. Practice where you are and how you can. Remember it is your practice and it can be whatever you would like it to be. The most important thing is to enjoy it and be consistent.