Today my friends I would like to discuss Green Living and what it all means. Our planet is a gift that we should cherish. In the last decade society has started noticing and becoming kinder to our world. Just listen to the news or look around your neighborhood and you can see small changes, but we can’t stop now because we have so much more to accomplish.
What is necessary to save our planet earth is still being debated, even among the top scientists in the world. The one thing they all agree on is that change is essential and that everyone has to do their part.
Can one person save the Earth? No, but by taking one small step everyday you can make a difference! Let me give you a few ideas how you can help save our planet earth.
Steps you can take to have a greener earth:
1. Buy item with less packaging: One of the simplest, yet most useful, paths to help our Planet is to buy items with less packaging.
A. Look for the double rolls package. If each this, the savings in packaging would be astronomic. The energy that companies use to create that packaging might be cut in half and the world might just be able to breathe a little easier.
2. Recycle and ReUse– Don’t Waste–Find creative ways to reuse old glass jars, bottles, grocery bags, and old material such as sheets and towels.
A. Recycle glass jars: Products that in glass jar, clean them by putting in the dishwasher and use them to store leftovers in. It is much safer than plastics.
B. Recycle the toilet roll cardboard tubes and, when you open the package of toilet tissue, just slit it on the top and then use the empty package as a liner in a small trash can.
C. ReUse–A worn out bed sheet can be used a scrap cloths (they are great for washing your car) before they are finally thrown away or use old worn out towels to clean up spills and wash for the next time.
D. ReUse–If you have old plastic bags reuse them as often as possible take them to back the next time you shop. Use recycle totes to go to the market. You can also use better to have an organic cotton bag or even using one of the many “bags for life”. Use eco-friendly garbage bags.
Some of us feel that recycle is such a hassle and just don’t have the time to do it. A good Motto to follow is –If you don’t use it, then you don’t need to reuse it and then you don’t need to recycle it.
3. Make Sure the Air You Breathe is Clean and Safe:
A. Prevent mold growth with good ventilation and use low-VOC paints and furnishings.
B. Check that appliances and any fireplace or woodstove is properly vented to the outside of your home.
C. Everyone can benefit from a good air cleaner or purifier, especially if you or someone in your family has allergies or asthma.
4. Make Sure The Water you Drink is Safe:
A. Have you tap water tested. Your local health department can provide information about the purity and safety of your drinking water or if you want to have your water tested. If your tap water fails a lead test, or has other dangerous pollutants invest in a filter or use good quality bottled water for drinking and cooking.
5. Conserve energy:
A. Save electricity and reduce environmental impact by turning off lights when you leave a room, and using only as much light as you need.
B. Don’t leave unused appliance plugged in they draw energy even if they are turned off.
6. Take a Stand & Voice You Opinion: We all should hold our government and big industries to their part in initiating green action. Industries absolutely need to stop polluting. Government wants to support clean alternative energy. Communities all need to work on every level to promote waste reduction. People can make massive gains toward a greener and cleaner world.
7. Use natural, organic or eco-friendly cleaning and personal care products that are safe for you and the environment. Make sure they are free from pesticides, preservatives, and toxic chemicals. Not only is it essential for you to save our planet but for your health!
Anything you do to decrease the amount of the Earth’s resources that you use helps to reduce consumption helping you to guide a more sustainable life for you, your family, and all future generations. Remember, it’s up to all of us to help create a new green planet– our earth. Little things that we do on a daily basis can help ensure the survival of a our planet and a greener, less toxic, and healthier world for generations to come.
Remember to “Go Green”