Is Marijuana Good for Your Health?
Over the years, marijuana has been painted as a psychedelic drug of stoners and hippies, to the detriment of their cognitive function, this is one of the thousand images that marijuana has been attributed to.
However, Marijuana is one of the categories of plants made of three species that have been highly recommended for people who suffer from various types of illnesses and is considered an alternative health treatment. Although, the Food and Drug Administration has refused to declare marijuana safe for the health, the cannabidiol, substance found in the plant has been used to treat a lot of illnesses.
To get the best for your health, here are the safest ways to consume marijuana:
- Edibles: Consuming cannabis-infused foods has become a popular trend among marijuana enthusiasts. Edibles can offer a lasting relief, making it a good option for chronic pain sufferers. The effects of an edible can take between 60-90 minutes, so it is advisable to always start with the smallest dosage for the patient.
- Topicals: These are cannabis-infused creams which are mainly used for skin care and localized relief. Patients can receive their treatment directly through their skin without having to worry about consuming too high of the dose.
- Vaporizers: To vape is a method of a smokeless inhalation which affect begins within seconds of inhalation and lasts for about 30 minutes. There is a minimal odor which vanishes quickly, and this method has been proven to be one of the healthiest and cleanest ways to consume cannabis. Less flower is used when vaporizing, thereby making this method cost efficient.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are available in a variety of cannabinoid dosages and formulations. They can be absorbed sublingually (under the tongue), making the cannabinoids go straight into the bloodstream while the effect begins within 20-30 minutes.
- Extracts and Concentrates: This is another popular way of consuming cannabis. This method enables users to avoid inhaling burning plant matter and instead receive a strong dose of the cannabinoids.
Despite the medical benefits of marijuana offers in treating various types of illnesses, there are still some side effects which may depend on the individuals, the method of administration, the dose, personal expectations, mood state, environment and prior experience. However, the common side effects include the following:
- Distorted perception of state and time: Here, the user may experience a heightened level of sensitivity such as taste, smell, and hearing.
- Altered state of consciousness. The user might feel ‘high’ or euphoric. Concentration can also be impaired, thereby making some activities like driving quite risky.
- Others include bloodshot eyes, panic, anxiousness, palpitations, increased appetite and dilated pupils.
Finally, Marijuana can be of great benefit to people suffering from one form of illness or the other. However, it must be taken with an adequate prescription from a reliable source.
HOW DO I CHOOSE THE BEST STRAIN?
For first-timers, venturing into the world of cannabis requires some guidelines. You are advised to speak to your source of medicine before jumping right into it. You are to understand that the whole reason is to seek relief and not to get high.
When misused, cannabis can cause some severe side effects, and therefore you need a guide. When selecting strains, you may feel overwhelmed as there are variations and options to choose from. Still, it is important to get the right strain for you.
Choosing the best strain for you will give you the relief you need. Below is a table to serve as a guide, when seeking for the right strain to find out which will best work for you according to your needs.