Turmeric: What’s All the Health Chatter About?
What’s all the chitter and chatter about Turmeric recently? It all about the amazing health benefits that this ancient herb straight from Mother Nature provides for us. It’s surely worth learning about. So read on my friends and find out how you can improve your health and maybe find some natural solutions to some current health issues!
Turmeric is considered by some a Medical Miracle but to others they just see it as a tasty healthy culinary Indian spice that adds flavor and color (a natural dye) to many recipes. Many civilizations have consumed large amounts of it for centuries as part of their normal diets and consider curcumin a natural fountain of youth. Turmeric is a native tropical herb that has been used in India for thousands of years and is a major part of Ayurvedic medicine. The active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin.
In most cases it’s hard to provide enough healing properties and/or health benefits from Turmeric in the average person’s diet by just using the spice especially if you don’t eat a lot or Indian type food. It has been suggested that a supplement many times is necessary to provide enough of the healing power of curcumin. It is recommended since a turmeric supplement many times is poorly absorbed by the G.I. tract, using a supplement that contains piperine, a compound in black pepper will enhance absorption greatly and allow your body to utilize the amazing healing powers that Turmeric has to offer.
What Are Some of these Amazing Health Benefits or Turmeric:
- Has strong anti-inflammatory effect.
- Anti-bacterial that helps treat infections.
- A powerful Antioxidant that fights against free radicals., According to The University of Maryland’s Medical Center this amazing herb turmeric’spowerful antioxidant properties fight cancer-causing free radicals, reducing or preventing damaging cells from growing.
- Is considered a natural painkiller without all the dangerous side effects of prescription drugs and a cox-2 inhibitor. Many arthritis sufferers have had much success by using Turmeric to minimize joint and muscle pain.
- Helps the liver detoxify naturally.
- Turmeric is great anti-aging spice that can reduce your risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s. Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone that help to increase the growth of new neurons and fights various degenerative processes in the brain.
- Cleanse the blood.
- Boosts energy.
- Helps heal digestive disorders including food allergies.
- Has helped dissolve gallstones.
- It can help prevent breast cancer, fight heart disease and prevent clogged arteries according to WebMD.
- Helps diabetes – Natural News reports diabetes prevention — A study published in the journal Diabetes Care in July 2012 has shown that Turmeric could prevent diabetes from developing as well as lowering glucose levels and insulin resistance for individuals that are already suffering with this life changing disease. The study showed that curcuminoids the active ingredient of Turmeric have an anti- diabetic impact by reducing the serum fatty acid through the possible assistance of oxidation and utilization.
- Curcumin helps relieve depression and improve mood disorders.
Turmeric is a natural remedy that can help many disorders. It can help your body stay strong and healthy while helping prevent many chronic diseases. Whether you choose to take a supplement, drink a turmeric tea (Check out this Turmeric Tea Recipe on Wellness Mama), use it raw in a smoothie or add it to your food daily, (Check out this tasty raw Turmeric salad dressing from Urban Naturale), it will help you fight against environmental toxins and promote a healthy atmosphere inside your body. It truly is a gift that Mother Nature provided to help us find natural healing and a healthier life.
Have you added Turmeric to your diet and if so in what form? I take a daily supplement and use it often in cooking. Please share your suggestions in the comments!