5 Valentines Day Gifts For Health Nuts
Valentines day is just around the corner and its time to make a decision on what healthy gift you can get for that special someone! I have five Valentine’s Day gift ideas for health nuts or just for those that want to live a green and healthy lifestyle.
Nothing puts the “love” in “love handles” quite like a box of sugar-filled, artery-clogging chocolate candies. If you really love your significant other, you know that processed treats that contain toxic chemical ingredients are not the way to show it. But that doesn’t mean you have to show up at the door on Valentine’s Day with a bouquet of broccoli. There are tons of health-friendly, alternative gift options for you and that special someone that won’t leave you sick to your stomach the next morning.
Don’t get me wrong; every girl loves a nice piece of jewelry and a sparkly new gadget, but an experience to share is really one of the best ways to celebrate your love. Forget the boring dinner and a movie and choose something that reflects your healthy lifestyle.
- For example, you can take a boat tour through Niagara Falls, with a romantic excursion through the Maid of the Mist – this is definitely a romantic gift that will let you see Nature at it’s best.
- Or you can go see a classical music concert to add a little more of the arts into your lives.
This classic Valentine’s gift is more than just calorie-free, it also comes with several proven psychological benefits. A 2008 study by Park and Mattson showed that patients in hospital rooms with flowers and potted plans were in a more positive psychological state, exhibited less anxiety and fatigue, needed less pain medication, and had lower systolic blood pressure than patients in rooms without plants.
Another study showed that cognitive performance is much better in workplaces with flowers and plants, compared to those without them. Spirit-lifting Valentine’s Day gifts at FTD.com satisfy the initial bliss of a bite of chocolate, but without the cocoa hangover.
Ask for organically grown flowers that don’t contain toxic chemicals for your sweetheart’s health and the health of the environment.
3. Kitchen appliances
Like most health nuts and health conscious individuals, there’s a good chance you and your significant other have a long list of coveted kitchen gadgets you need for healthier and more convenient meal prep.
- Give your loved one the gift of organic nutrient-filled veggies with a food steamer, which retains 50 percent more vitamins and minerals than boiling.
- You can go the extra fancy route with a $79.99 Deni 7600 Stainless Steel 3-Tier Food Steamer or keep it frugal with a $34.99 Oster 6-Quart Food Steamer.
- Food processors are another staple for health nuts who survive on smoothies. I use mine daily. What health conscious person doesn’t love a delicious healthy smoothie filled with organic fruits, vegetables and hempseed or whatever suits or fancy.
- A wonderful way to start your Valentine’s day for that special someone is to serve this healthy, delicious and nutritious smoothie —-
Valentine Day Strawberry Smoothie
- 1 raw milk OR milk substitute (almond, coconut)
- 1 cup raw yogurt or vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic strawberries
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seed
- 1 tablespoon organic cold pressed raw coconut oil
- Organic liquid stevia (enough to satisfy your taste buds)
Directions: Mix all ingredients in that new food processor until smooth and creamy. You can add more ice cubes according to how thick you prefer your smoothie. Top it off with a few fresh organic strawberries and serve it to your special someone. This smoothie is filled with antioxidants, vitamin C, protein, fiber, and so many more health benefits.
4. Fitness classes for two
Since you’re celebrating your relationship, why not team up in your effort to stay fit? Try something new together, like rock climbing, yoga, or even hip hop dance classes. Staying fit and healthy shouldn’t mean sacrificing time with the one you love most, so if you’re guilty of disappearing to the gym a few nights a week, make up for it with a fitness routine you can both get behind.
According to the New York Daily News, couples workouts are the next big fitness trend. For example, a new fitness program called NYC Agape is designed exclusively for couples.
You can even go country and try line dancing which is great exercise and so much fun. Exercise should be something you look forward to or lets face it if you don’t enjoy what you are doing ninety percent of the time you end up giving it up within a short time. So find what works for you and your partner and stick with it.
5. Organic Exotic fruits
If you are a fitness fanatics you probably survive on fruit, which means you might get tired and bored with everyday apples, bananas, and oranges. A sweet treat made up of natural sugars is sure to hit the spot and mix up your love’s daily routine. Although you can always make a lovely basket filled with passionfruit, starfruit, kumquat and dragon fruit, go for the gift that keeps on giving with a membership to the Fruit of the Month Club. This service delivers five pounds of fresh, exotic fruits to your door every month, so your sweetie can have a stocked supply without constant grocery store runs.
Valentine Day is to celebrate our love for that special someone in our lives, but let’s not forget that everyday should be a day to show your love to all those around us and to all living things. Remember to be kind and loving everyday of the year not only to others but to our home, Mother earth. Our planet is our home that is a gift from God and we need to cherish as we cherish each other!
Have A Happy, Healthy Valentine’s Day to You and Yours!